A Satellite Media Tour (SMT) is a very effective way of communicating a targeted message to large audience around the country in a just a few short hours. Traditionally, this message is delivered by a credible third-party spokesperson who conducts as many as 30+ interviews from one location using satellite technology
These interviews often provide a vehicle to deliver a valid news story while communicating specific client messages through live, on-air interaction. After the SMT is completed the client is provided feedback on how many people heard and saw the interview.
A Co-op SMT uses a spokesperson to deliver messages from more than one client. For example, a paint manufacturer and a flooring company might team together to offer an interview on “Affordable Ways to Update Your Home”. The products from both companies are seamlessly integrated into the consumer story and the cost of the project is shared by two different clients.
Identify and Develop Story Angle
- Research latest news to determine best news “hook” or tie-in to current events
- Brainstorm with clients to develop news angle
Help suggest and locate compelling, relevant spokesperson
- Write media alert, spokesperson biography and suggested anchor lead and question
Media Pitching and Placement
SMT Technical Logistics
- Locate and secure SMT inter
- view site (studio set or remote location such as a )
- Shoot and edit tease video
- On site coordination of SMT by experienced producer
- Establish satellite time, transmissions and uplinks
SMT Technical Logistics (cont)
- Hire full technical crew: photographer(s), technical director, satellite truck operator, and phone coordinator
- Coordinate makeup and catering services.
- Provide b-roll playback during tour to enrich live i i interview
- Tape generic and customized interviews for stations unable to take story “live”
SMT Follow Up
- VMS Monitoring to track placement
- Aggressive follow up phone calls to confirm story placement for stations receiving taped interviews
- Generate comprehensive reports detailing all airings, stations size, estimated audience numbers and estimated ad values